Waterproof Your Basement from the Exterior Wall, Before Water Enters
Using your basement as a workout studio, office or man cave? That’s okay. Olshan can waterproof your basement from the outside using a less intrusive approach designed to keep water from entering your basement.
Waterproofing your basement from the outside wall helps to stop water before it enters your basement. This differs from interior waterproofing in both the concept and scope of repair.
Unlike interior waterproofing, which first allows water to seep into the basement before managing it away, this method of water management is designed to help prevent water from ever entering the basement.
Exterior waterproofing is a highly effective waterproofing method and can be completed on basements with both poured concrete or masonry block walls.
Exterior basement waterproofing involves digging out the dirt around basement walls, applying a moisture barrier and installing a specially designed dimple board that deflects water away from the wall.
This approach stops seepage at the source and is popular among homeowners that do not want work to be performed on the interior of their home.
Exterior basement waterproofing from Olshan includes a drainage system consisting of a footer drain installed in gravel. The footer drain helps discharge water away form the home, while the gravel fill works to alleviate hydrostatic pressure.
This repair requires excavation of the basement wall and also includes an exterior moisture barrier (dimple board + membrane).
Exterior Waterproofing is a great way to waterproof a finished basement that is used regularly, as it stops water at the source and does not require work to be performed on the interior of their home.
Exterior Basement Waterproofing Includes 5 Lines of Defense
- Installation of an exterior moisture barrier & dimple board on the exterior basement wall to transport water to drainage system
- Moisture membrane provides protection from outside water table and seepage
- 3/4” washed gravel replaces dirt to relieve built-up hydrostatic pressure and ensure water passage to the footer drainage system
- Footer drain is placed outside of the home to safely discharge water away from the foundation
- Sump pump installation with available dual pumps or gravity discharge as needed
- Work performed outside, no disturbance to the interior of your basement, making it a great choice for homeowners with finished basements
- A sump pump system is sometimes recommended, but may not be necessary
- Longer installation time compared to interior waterproofing
- Products are serviceable
- Includes exterior wall waterproofing with moisture barrier, dimple board and exterior drainage
Once the water problems have been addressed, these components also work together to help reduce damp air levels inside the home. The air quality benefits of exterior waterproofing can be amplified by incorporating an optional air quality system.
Find out if exterior waterproofing is the best solution for you, schedule a free assessment with Olshan.