Crawl space foundations are efficient and economical, and Nashville area construction companies have made good use of them over the years.
But there is a fly in the ointment. If you live in a home with a crawl space foundation rather than a basement, the chances are you never check it closely, and that means you could be missing some disturbing developments.
Music City soil is not always as sound, solid and reliable as you would think, and that makes your crawl space foundation vulnerable to damage. Cracks, crevices and dislocations can form in the concrete because of swelling or contracting soil, a side effect of a continuing cycle of moisture absorption and drying. Foundations move around on heaving and sinking soil, up or down or sideways, and that can compromise structural integrity.
Unfortunately, this can exacerbate moisture penetration problems in crawl spaces, which are already subject to water contamination from moisture rising through dirt floors. Excessively wet crawl spaces are a common malady in the Southland, and Music City residents with moisture problems in their crawl spaces will be left singing the blues if they don’t take action quickly.
According to a recent article in the Tennessean, “Standing water or too much moisture under your home can lead to extensive and costly troubles — water damage, fungal growth and rotting or rusting materials. However, it is also possible for the interior of a home to become too dry and unhealthy.”
Olshan Foundation Repair offers workable, affordable, minimally disruptive solutions to foundation problems and water penetration issues. Throughout the Nashville metropolitan area, we have been busy implementing these solutions for homeowners dealing with crawl space troubles, and it is a service in particular that is creating a buzz in the real estate industry. Crawl space encapsulation with CrawlSafe™, a comprehensive, technologically advanced system, can help end moisture problems in crawl spaces quickly and decisively.
Considering Crawl Space Encapsulation? Here’s What The CrawlSafe™ Method can do for You and Your Home. Options Include; Vapor Barriers, Sump Pumps, Drainage Solutions & Dehumidifiers
For homeowners serious about drying out their crawl spaces and improving indoor air quality, crawl space encapsulation is the ultimate moisture-fighting strategy.
And our patented CrawlSafe™ encapsulation system is the ultimate example of this ingenuous solution in action. Here are the CrawlSafe™ constituent parts:
- SafeSeal™ Encapsulation Vapor Barrior. A simple vapor barrier in your crawl space will help prevent some moisture penetration. But it is no match for our durable and custom-fitted SafeSeal™ polyethylene liner, which is watertight and will envelop the entire crawl space in its protective, leak-resistant embrace. For milder moisture problems, the SafeSeal™ alone might be an acceptable solution.
- SafeAdjust™ Support Columns. Compromised foundations plus constant water penetration can cause wooden support beams inside crawl space homes to sag. If unaddressed the problem will continue to worsen, but our 11-gauge steel SafeAdjust™ support columns are a rock-solid antidote to this troublesome development. Following initial installation, SafeAdjust™ columns can be adjusted later to compensate for sinking or rising soil under your home.
- Water Removal Systems. Around your crawl space perimeter or from the interior, Olshan’s water removal systems will protect your crawl space from saturated soil and other potential sources of water invasion.
- Crawl Space Dehumidifier Systems. Inside the enclosed space formed by the encapsulation liner, our optional ventilation units are designed to exchange bad air and dehumidify it to help eliminate threats of moisture accumulation and rising humidity. Crawl space dryness is preserved and air quality remains fresh throughout your home.
- Sump Pumps: Optional sump pumps can be used to forcibly discharge intrusive water out and away from underneath the home.
- Superior installation services by Certified Olshan Technicians. Olshan technicians have handled thousands of projects in Nashville and the surrounding area, and with our expert services, every component of your crawl space encapsulation package will be properly installed and backed by an available warranty program.
Tired of musty smells coming in from the crawl space? Crawl space encapsulation will help end your moisture problems, and if our technicians uncover significant foundation damage during their initial no-cost, no-obligation inspection, they can recommend and implement remedies for those problems as well.
Regardless of the cost of your encapsulation system, or how much of it you need installed, we do have generous payment options available. Budget concerns should not deter you from choosing a solution that will keep your crawl space preserved and moisture-free.
The Telltale Signs of Wet Crawl Space Problems
Crawl space moisture problems usually require an onsite inspection to definitively diagnose. Nevertheless, there are a number of signs that can tip you off to a crawl space water contamination issue.
- Uncomfortable humidity levels. High summertime humidity is a problem in Nashville generally, so you might not realize when your humidity troubles originated in your crawl space. If you have your air conditioner on but still notice elevated humidity, the source of the problem might be moisture-contaminated air rising from below.
- Living infestations. Mold, mildew, fungus, insects, rats and mice all love dark, moist spaces, and any or all might be present in your crawl space if water contamination is chronic. If the situation continues uninterrupted, at some point these pests may migrate to the upper levels of your home.
- Creaking or sagging floorboards. When ground-floor floorboards are bending or creaking under your footsteps, warping wood and sagging support beams might be the culprits. Too much moisture in the crawl space causes progressive damage to wooden structural elements, and if the problem is ignored for too long collapse is a possibility.
- Higher air conditioning costs in the summer. Moisture-saturated air in your crawl space will rise through spaces in floorboards and walls, causing upper-floor humidity levels to rise. Humid air feels warmer than dry air and your air conditioner will have to work harder to make you feel comfortable if crawl spaces are water-logged.
- Foul odors. Wet crawl spaces are hothouses, and if mold, mildew and other nasty invaders are present they will produce warm, steamy, heavily polluted air that gives your home a distinctively unpleasant odor as that air infiltrates your living spaces from below.
Are you noticing any of these signs of crawl space moisture problems? Schedule a free, no-obligation evaluation now.
The Top Ten Benefits of Crawl Space Encapsulation
Here are the top 10 benefits you will enjoy after installing our CrawlSafe™ encapsulation system in your crawl space:
- Your crawl space will remain dryer throughout the year, come rain or shine.
- The air in your home will smell fresher and cleaner.
- Your summertime cooling bills may shrink.
- Improved indoor humidity levels will help you remain within your comfort zone.
- It will help eliminate signs of insects or rodents in your crawl space, or anywhere else.
- Mold and mildew will decrease.
- The wooden structural elements in your home will stay dryer, improving durability.
- You’ll be able to convert your crawl space into a worry-free storage space.
- Your crawl space foundation will be far less vulnerable to cracking or sinking.
- Your property value may rise, thanks to the improved health of your home.
Find out why Olshan Foundation Repair in Nashville is your best bet for long-lasting crawl space solutions. Book your free evaluation.
Partner With Olshan To Make Your Crawl Space Moisture Problems a Thing of the Past
If moisture contamination is plaguing your home, crawl space encapsulation could be one of the smartest investments you’ll ever make.
Call Olshan to arrange your free foundation and crawl space evaluation. If our technicians determine the CrawlSafe™ encapsulation system is right for you, we’ll work with you on planning and any other foundation repair or water containment issues (indoors or outdoors) that need to be addressed.
Olshan Serves Nashville, Tennessee and Surrounding Areas
Our service area also includes; Franklin, Clarksville, Murfreesboro, Brentwood, Gallatin, Cookeville, Russellville, Lebanon, Smyrna, and Mount Juliet. Call 615-367-2800 to schedule.