Homeowners often find excuses for ignoring wet basement problems with comments such as ”Well, I’m never in it” or ”I don’t go down there so what’s the point?” perhaps forgetting that this space is central to the effective workings of the house as a whole. Dealing with those issues sooner rather than later helps to achieve the best results. Here are five important reasons to consider wet basement repair:
1. Save Energy Cost. Lock out the enemy: moisture creates damp air not only in the basement but throughout your house. That moisture and damp air are more difficult to heat and cool, force your HVAC systems to work harder and longer which burdens the HVAC system and it won’t last as many years, plus you waste energy and dollars. A repaired, well-maintained basement increases energy efficiency.
2. Reduce Risks. Dark, damp, musty environments such as those in basement are ideal conditions for the silent growth of mold and mildew. The resulting mold spores feed on wood, carpet, and other organic materials; as they mix with the air flow in your house they become part of the air your family breathes. This same dark and damp environment is also cause for contamination concerns. Pests, termites, and other rodents thrive in such conditions and can quickly become a nuisance.
3. Improve Safety. The walls enclosing your basement constitute your home’s foundation, the very base on which your house stands. Prolonged wet, damp conditions can compromise the foundation walls and cause structural damage, making your house unsafe for your family. Home inspection problems could also result. And it may not only be the foundation that is damaged; moisture can also buckle hardwood floors and cause other more serious problems with the other systems within your home.
4. Increase Home Value. A dry, clean, safe basement speaks volumes; it’s an investment in the future. It shows that homeowners care about maintaining the house whether or not those spaces are seen on a daily basis. That’s reassuring to potential homebuyers and becomes a strong selling feature. It also means that future expenses for buyers will be avoided because moisture issues have already been resolved.
5. Enhance lifestyle. A basement waterproofing system improves overall living conditions in two important ways. First, it increases the comfort of your home: in the winter you’ll notice that floors wont feel as cold and in the summer the house won’t feel as muggy. Second, you’ll gain more storage area from the extra square footage of your newly-repaired basement. Improving your familys lifestyle without major additions and remodeling is surely worth considering.
Get peace of mind and the benefits of extra space in your basement. And be confident that your basement has a properly installed basement waterproofing system installed by professionals.
Olshan Foundation Solutions offers basement waterproofing as well as crawl space water solutions in Birmingham, Huntsville, Louisville, Nashville, Memphis, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Kansas City, Denver, Omaha as well as many surrounding cities. Call for a Free Estimate at 877-465-7426.