Garages are versatile spaces that serve a variety of purposes. Many people use their garages as a workshop to pursue hobbies, such as woodworking or car restoration. Others use the space to store outdoor gear such as bikes, skis, and camping equipment. Garages are also commonly used to park vehicles, providing protection from the elements and added security. Whether it’s a single-car garage or a larger space, the versatility of garages makes them an essential part of many homes. They can be customized and organized to meet the unique needs of each homeowner, providing functional space for a variety of purposes.
However, some garage floors and foundations will experience issues over time, therefore homeowners will need to prepare themselves for garage foundation repair. If left without repair, the damage could eventually affect the structural integrity of the home.
- Garage Foundation Repair Service Near You
- Common Causes of a Sunken Garage Floor
- Mudjacking Garage Floor Vs. Garage Foundation Leveling
- Cost To Repair Garage Foundation
Garage Foundation Repair Service Near You
A cracked or unlevel garage floor can have a significant impact on a homeowner’s ability to utilize their garage efficiently. Uneven surfaces can make it difficult to park vehicles, store equipment, or use the space as a workshop. Cracks can become a tripping hazard and could even cause damage to the tires of vehicles parked in the garage. It is important for homeowners to address any issues with their garage floor as soon as possible, because these issues are common signs that garage foundation repair is needed to ensure that the space remains safe and functional.
Our team of expert garage floor repair contractors near you have the expertise and knowledge needed to efficiently and effectively perform garage foundation repairs.
Common Causes of a Sunken Garage Floor
Garage floors, like other concrete platforms such as sidewalks and driveways, can settle over time, leading to damage. The extent of the damage and required repair may vary depending on the cause of settlement, ranging from minor repairs to major undertakings. The most common causes of a sunken garage floor can include:
Improper construction of garage floors can make them more susceptible to settling and sinking as they age. Insufficient reinforcement or an uneven base due to poor construction can lead to floor settling or sinking over time. Such problems can cause cracks, dips, and even significant structural damage to the surface. To avoid such issues and maintain the stability of your garage, it is essential to ensure that your garage floor is constructed correctly.
Inadequate waterproofing systems can pose serious risks to the foundation of a garage. If the waterproofing is faulty, it can allow water to penetrate the slab, causing it to become saturated and eventually leading to flooding. The water can wash away the soil underneath the slab, causing it to sink and settle. As time passes, this can cause cracks, uneven surfaces, and even structural damage to the garage foundation. Adequate waterproofing is essential for preventing water damage and ensuring the durability of the garage foundation. It is critical to examine your garage floor frequently to detect any potential waterproofing problems before they escalate into more severe issues.
Insufficient Gutters Or Downspouts
Inadequate gutters and downspouts can have a significant impact on the foundation of a garage, leading to damage over time. When gutters and downspouts are not installed or maintained correctly, water can accumulate around the garage foundation, causing the soil to become oversaturated with water. This water accumulation can cause the concrete slab to shift or sink and can also erode the garage foundation walls, compromising the structural integrity of the garage floor. Moreover, excess water can seep into the garage through small cracks, resulting in further damage to the interior of the garage. Therefore, it is vital to ensure that gutters and downspouts are functioning correctly and are appropriately installed to maintain proper drainage around the garage foundation. Regular inspections and maintenance can prevent a costly garage foundation repair in the future.
Mudjacking Garage Floor Vs. Garage Foundation Leveling
Olshan Foundation Repair understands that all structures are prone to settling over time, including garages, as the ground beneath them shifts with changes in weight and pressure. To address this issue, they offer two forms of garage foundation repair to meet the unique needs of each customer. With their expertise and experience, customers can trust Olshan Foundation Repair to restore the stability and safety of their garage foundation.
One such method is commonly referred to as mudjacking. Mudjacking is a common technique employed to fix garage foundation settlements. The process involves drilling holes into the concrete garage floor and injecting a mixture of cement, soil, and water under the concrete slab, which levels out the uneven surface. While it is an economical and quick solution, it may not be a permanent one since the soil mixture used can settle over time, necessitating future repairs. Mudjacking can also be a messy and time-consuming process that could potentially damage the surrounding landscape.
The PolyLift™ Concrete Leveling System
Olshan Foundation Repair employs a unique and efficient method of repairing unlevel or damaged garage foundations using polyurethane foam. This method is known as the PolyLift™ concrete leveling system, and it is highly effective in providing homeowners with a quick and efficient solution to their foundation problems. With our custom-designed process, polyurethane foam is injected under the sunken garage floor, leveling it without causing a mess or taking an extended period of time to complete. Here’s how our simple process works:
- Step 1 – To stabilize the structure, we begin the PolyLift™ concrete leveling process by drilling a ⅝” hole through the concrete slab, about the size of a dime, to reach the subgrade. Subsequently, a polyurethane mixture is injected deeply beneath the slab to help with stabilization.
- Step 2 – We prioritize maintaining a clean and organized work environment while performing this minimally invasive repair process. We understand that homeowners want a repair process that doesn’t take up too much space or time. Our PolyLift™ concrete leveling system is an ideal solution for such situations, as it is both efficient and cost-effective.
- Step 3 – Our team of garage floor repair contractors near you can lift a sunken garage floor in just a few minutes with minimal mess. After the floor is leveled, we patch and smooth the affected area. Our process is straightforward and simple, ensuring a quick and efficient solution to your garage foundation problems.
Cost To Repair Garage Foundation
Typically, the cost to repair a garage foundation is determined based on several factors. These factors will determine how much time, material, planning, and design will need to be utilized to effectively level a damaged or sunken garage floor. The factors that determine the cost to repair heaving in a garage floor include:
- Physical Obstacles – Obstacles can complicate the process of garage foundation repair. These obstacles can be either hidden, such as tree roots or underground pipes, or obvious, such as porch posts, deck posts, A/C pads, or fences. If any of these obstacles are present, the cost to repair a garage foundation may increase due to the additional effort required to ensure a proper concrete lift.
- Materials – The expenses that contribute to the cost to fix a garage foundation can differ significantly based on the materials utilized for the repair. If mudjacking is employed, it may be cheaper than using polyurethane foam. Moreover, the extent of the foundation damage can also affect the cost of the necessary materials for repair.
- Labor – The size of the garage foundation repair job is a crucial factor in determining the cost of labor needed to complete the repair work. The more extensive the repair work, the more time and effort it will take, which will ultimately impact the overall cost of fixing the garage foundation.
Put Over 90 Years of Experience to Work for You
When it comes to helping your garage and foundation survive the rigorous climate, only Olshan offers excellent customer service and over 90 Years of experience repairing foundations and all types of concrete, including your garage.
Call us today at 713-223-1900 or fill out the quick contact form to schedule your free estimate.
Reviews of Olshan’s Garage Leveling Repair Services
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐”I had Interior and exterior work done, including raising up a sunken and dipping garage a few inches, installing three root barriers, raising my living room a few inches, an interior fire place, and multiple places inside along walls. Cesar and his crews that came out to do the job are hands down the BEST out there!!!!! The work they were able to do each day was AMAZING!!!”
Aaron Holt on Google